Diversity, Inclusion, and Excellence at VCU
VCU’s Non-discrimination Statement
Approved by the Board of Visitors on Dec. 12, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth University is a comprehensive, public university whose mission is to provide a fertile, stimulating environment for teaching, learning, research, comprehensive medical care and service; to promote the pursuit of knowledge; and, to disseminate professional skills.
Virginia Commonwealth University will maintain a strong commitment to outstanding achievement, educational excellence and high principle. Activities of the university are designed to promote the continuing policy of providing equal opportunity for employment and educational access to all programs and services without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, political affiliation, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or disability.
See the Video: If You Can, You Can
“If You Can, You Can” is a project at Virginia Commonwealth University to advance diversity, equality and inclusiveness by providing a common platform for VCU communities to discuss aspects of diversity, social identities, and human difference. The video, a model for future diversity and inclusiveness campaigns and initiatives, communicates the message that if you can play, you can research, train, counsel, educate, learn, coach, teach, help, and serve. View the video here.
Diversity is absolutely essential at a research university, just as it is in life.
It is an indispensable part of the learning process. It shapes what we learn and how we learn it, how we solve problems, how we interact with one another and how we think about ourselves and each other.
Michael Rao, Ph.D.
President of Virginia Commonwealth University
and VCU Health System
Upcoming events and educational sessions include:
- 2015 Annual PACME Celebration:
April 14, 2015
View Event Flyer
- Town Hall Meeting with President Rao: March 16, 2015
- Faculty LGBTQ Diversity Training: March-May 2015
- LGBTQ Diversity Training for the VCU Community
- Healing History: Memory, Legacy and Social Change International Conference, Wednesday, April 8, 2015
- Dr. Gerald Horne, Presentation and Book Signing: April 9, 2015
- The CEO In You: April 22, 2015
View Event Flyer
- First Annual Diversity & Inclusion Symposium: June 26, 2015
- Division for Inclusive Excellence Calendar of Events